Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kate's Birthday Party (No Recipe Here!)

At my job, I plan events for the community. Most of them involve families and children, and they have all gone pretty well with only a few hiccups here and there.

However, I have never planned a birthday party. When my aunt asked me to plan my cousin's party I said yes because don't I do this for a living?

The planning stage was a lot of fun. Kate wanted a mermaid theme so we decided to have one hour at the house and the other at the pool. I bought decorations, food, supplies for crafts. I made cupcakes, mini sandwiches, popcorn. I created a treasure hunt, and made crowns for the girls to decorate. It was a lot of fun to plan and decorate the house and cook the food. I loved it. I thought "people should hire me to plan birthday parties!"

The actual party was a different story. Don't let anyone tell you that 12 screaming 6 and 7-year-old girls in one room is a piece of cake (pun intended). They made a huge mess, ran around kicking balloons everywhere, and decided they didn't like the food after eating most of it.

I think that in the end, they did have fun, but I was so exhausted that I slept for 13 hours that night!

[PS I'll be posting the cupcake recipe later today!]










1 comments:

  1. Don't take it personally if 7 year olds tell you they don't like the food. They are only doing what 7 year olds do. And they won't remember the food, they'll just remember what a fun party it was!

    ReplyDelete